Held each year at the gorgeous Atlantic Center for the Arts in New Smyrna, with juries composed of some of the most influential minds in surf and surf media, The Florida Surf Film Festival has become the Sunshine State’s most important showcases for poignant documentary and feature films with a surf-bent.
Now, we’ve certainly blown up this event in the past. But this year’s annual showcase is the best yet. Over the course of two evenings, FSFF will screen an eclectic variety of surf cinema. A quick glance at this weekend’s lineup proves there’s something for everyone, whether they alt-leaning surf nerd or high-performance member of the more core division.
Jack Coleman’s gorgeously offbeat Zone Frequency–which stars a similarly distinctive cast, including Ryan Burch, Derek Disney, and Bryce Young—will be screened, as will Wyatt Daily and Justin Misch’s historical deep-dive into the crucial role Santa Barbara has played in our shared surf-y past. Coleman, Daily, and Misch will all be in attendance, as will Stab Mag head-honcho Ashton Goggans. A Florida native returning to his homeland, Goggans will be on-hand to screen the latest installment of The Electric Acid Surfboard Test, which starred the ever-stylish, World Champ Steph Gilmore. Meanwhile, Joe G.’s newest addition to the Cult of Freedom series starring Creed McTaggert is sure to offer enough high performance shredding to any person thirsty for such antics.
This year’s jury panel, made up of surf journos Matt Warshaw (Encyclopedia of Surfing) Nathan Myers and Scott Hulet (The Surfer’s Journal), Chas Smith (Beach Grit) David Scales (Surf Splendor Podcast Network) Marcus Sanders (Surfline), and Void’s very own Matthew Shaw (representing Surfer Magazine) will all be on-hand to pass judgment.
Good food, alcohol, Cigar City Brewing and plenty of swag-giveaways will certainly add flavor and vibrancy to an already colorful two-night affair.
This is a one-of-a-kind event, created and supported by Florida surfers held in one of our State’s coolest little surf enclaves. Those who’ve been will tell you, it’s worth checking out. See you in NSB. TICKETS HERE.
Here’s the rundown of this weekend’s festivities:
November 8, 2019
- 4:30PM – Doors open
- 5:30PM – Commencement with John Brooks, Festival Director
- 5:35PM –
- Norduland by Ishka Folkwell, 32 min.
- Within Reach starring Josh Mulcoy by Mike Cochran, 22 min.
- 7:00PM –
- Sundaze by Nicole Tobin, 2 min.
- Skyline starring Michael Dunphy by Jordan Montgomery, 13 min.
- Fire on the Mountain starring Rob Machado and Jeremy Jones by Chris Benchetler, 27 min.
- The Electric Acid Surfboard Test starring Stephanie Gilmore by Ashton Goggans and Dylan Roberts, 32 min.
- Raffle – Dragon, The SurfNetwork, Roark, and more, 6 min.
- 9:30PM –
- The Scenic Route by Kyle Buthman, 17 min.
- Zone Frequency starring Ryan Lovelace, Derek Disney, and Bryce Young by Jack Coleman, 42 min.
- Q&A with Jack Coleman, 10 min.
- Raffle – Firewire, YETI, 6 min.
November 9, 2019:
- 4:30PM – Doors
- 5:30PM –
- Lost in Thought by Hunter Martinez, 37 min.
- Go Easy on the Zambezi starring Dylan Graves, Michael February, and Harry Bryant by Ashton Goggans, 26 min.
- Boogie Man starring Pete Devries by Ben Gulliver, 27 min.
- Raffle – Various, 6 min.
- 7:45PM –
- Board Shop by Patrick Smith, 37 min.
- Timeless Areas starring Elissa Steamer by Beth O’Rourke and Jeff den Broeder, 14 min.
- Cult of Freedom: Creed McTaggert by Joe G., 12 min.
- Beyond Tradition by Shin Aoki and Tukuya Tutsumi, 14 min.
- Q & A with Beth O’Rourke and Shin Aoki – 10 min.
- Raffle – Dragon, The SurfNetwork, Roark, and more
- 9:30PM –
- Spoons starring Renny Yater and George Greenough by Wyatt Daily and Justin Misch, 60 min.
- Q & A with Wyatt Daily and Justin Misch, 10 min.
- Raffle – Firewire and YETI, 6 min.