“It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me, and I’m feeling good,” Nina Simone originally belted out in 1965. Honestly, we all should be singing these lyrics at the start of this New Year. Let’s make 2016 one of our greatest years yet by putting our best foot forward every day … not just New Year’s Day.
Here are 10 things to put you in a better mood and get your mind right!
- Make a playlist — Fill it with your favorite songs that make you want to get up and dance the moment you hear the beat. My go-tos are along the lines of “Come on Eileen” and “Walking on Sunshine.”
- Volunteer and donate to charitable causes — There are several places around Jax who would love your support, so look up some non-profits and give them a call to see what you can do to help. If you possibly have a hectic schedule, then instead of donating your time, you can donate some cash.
- Have an inspirational quote on your mirror — Decide on what your mantra for 2016 should be by going back through your Pinterest account, which has a bazillion pins on one board probably. Simply put your favorite quote on a post-it note and stick to your mirror. Who knows who else will stumble upon it?
- Coffee date with an old friend — Sometimes “life” gets in the way and we need to put aside what means the most to us. Give a call to that person you’ve been meaning to catch-up with and surprise them with their favorite candy.
- Play with puppies — Need I say more?!
- Compliment others — Maybe your BFF Jill recently bought an expensive jacket. Make sure to let her know she’s lookin’ hot in it, so she knows she got her money’s worth. Plus, it will make her smile.
- Having “me” time — I cannot emphasize on this enough … go get an “adult” coloring book or buy a bath bomb because both of those things are AWESOME. Do something alone. You’ll have time to reflect on your day and moments to collect your thoughts.
- Trying something new — May I suggest the “Thug Kitchen” cookbook? Have you ever picked up one of those books and not laughed? Now, it’s your chance to attempt one of those badass recipes.
- Go explore and have new adventures — Jacksonville is ginormous people! There’s always something to do here, get some ideas from those that you follow on Instagram and decide to embark on a new journey.
- Start planning — Looking forward to events makes life more exciting, especially when you add a countdown on your phone. Plan a vacation or even where you’re going to brunch next week. Just think about all of those bottomless mimosas you’re going to down.