There’s no doubt that summer is the best season North Florida has to offer. If you’re feeling overwhelmed about trying to conquer it all, we’ve got you covered. This summer bucket list will get you started on a season of adventures!
1. Attend Music by the Sea: Bring your cooler and your beach chair to this summer concert series, held at Pier Park in St. Augustine beach through mid-October.
2. Go paint balling: Get a group of friends together and head out to Paintball Adventures for an interactive wooded field, complete with forts, bunkers, trails, barricades and sniper trails.
3. Kayak to McCoy Creek: For a kayaking experience unlike any other in Jacksonville, paddle under the Times-Union Building to McCoys Creek and watch the concrete jungle transform into a serene landscape straight out of the Notebook.
4. Take a ride on the Jax Ale Trail: This beer adventure is the most responsible way to do a local brew crawl. The trolley will take you to Jacksonville’s eight local breweries including one of the five Budweiser breweries in the country open for tours.
5. Bring a 12-foot beach ball on the beach: We’re not exactly sure why it exists, but we’re sure happy that it does. Next time you’re at the beach with friends, bring this excessively large beach ball along for endless entertainment!
6. Go tarp surfing on a flat wave day: You can purchase waves at your local home improvement store. Roll out a large blue tarp and cruise into some hollow barrels with a few friends. This product is approved for ages grom and up.
7. Throw a pool float party: Fun inflatable shapes are all the rage this summer. So, spice up an ordinary pool day with some summer floats. Whether you’re laying on a swan, flamingo, pizza or pretzel, this is definitely the most instagram-worthy way to float!
8. Go horseback riding on the beach: If you need a summer date adventure, Amelia Island has you covered. Take a romantic stroll on the beach atop a Tennessee walking horse.
9. Stay in town for Fourth of July: Whether you are cruising down 1st Street with a thousand of your closest friends, or watching the fireworks downtown over the St. Johns River, Jacksonville is definitely a unique and fun Independence Day staycation.
10. Have dinner at Clark’s Fish Camp: This seafood restaurant is unlike any other in Jacksonville. Eat fresh fish overlooking Julington Creek alongside one of the largest privately owned collections of taxidermy in the country. Think lions, tigers and bears … Oh my!
11. Take a boat to Reggae Sunday: This floating paradise features different reggae concerts throughout the summer every Sunday in St. Augustine, and you can dock your boat right at the bar! But avoid the bouncers at all costs.
12. Spend a day at the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens: We recommend that day be a Tuesday, because it’s free admission! Browse over 5,000 objects in the art museum, enjoy a picnic in the historic gardens and listen to local musicians at the café for Tapas Tuesdays.
13. Cheer on the Jacksonville Suns at Thirsty Thursday: You’re not doing baseball right if you haven’t hit up the Baseball Grounds for $1 beer night.
14. Brush up on your target shooting: Spend a day exercising your second amendment rights at On Target Sports indoor shooting range. Their target retrieval system allows targets to turn 360 degrees for realistic shooting scenarios.
15. Ride the bike trails at Hanna Park: Head to Atlantic Beach for the ride of a lifetime. This park has over 20 miles of bike trails for both the novice and experienced riders.
16. Catch dinner on a deep-sea fishing adventure: There are a ton of local charters that take private groups out for a day out on the water. Some boats can even fit parties of 30+!
17. Dragon boat race on the river: Practice your skills in the waterways this summer and then compete at the Dragonboat Festival at the Landing this September!
18. Rollerblade the rail-trail: Spend the day enjoying the rural scenery at this 15-mile paved pathway located just west of Downtown Jacksonville as you work out your abs!
19. Cool down at the Ice Plant: Take a break from the heat and get a handcrafted cocktail at the 1920s-inspired Ice Plant bar. You can also tour the St. Augustine distillery while you’re there and sample some local liquor!
20. Rent the Jax Beach Short Bus Limo for a night out: Complete with strobe lights and stripper poles, this little pink bus is further proof that life is not about the destination, it’s about the ride that gets you there.