When life gives you lemons, but it’s the Fourth weekend, it’s time to make drinks. Make Uncle Sam proud with some red, white and blue “adult” lemonades. Let’s break this down.
- Make simple syrup by boiling two cups of sugar with two cups water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Store-bought is an option too — we won’t judge.
- Blend half of the syrup with two cups of strawberries or watermelon and two cups of vodka.
- Pour the fruit puree into a pitcher with six cups water, the remaining syrup and two cups of fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
- Stir, chill, sip, enjoy.
- Blend together six cups of coconut water, two cups lemon juice, a half-cup of lime juice, a half-cup of simple syrup and two cups of rum.
- Simple, right? Crush some mint leaves in each glass for bonus points.
- Make the same two cups of simple syrup as before, but this time, add two peeled and sliced ginger roots. No need for a fine-chop or mince.
- Combine syrup with two cups lemon juice and let cool. Strain out the ginger chunks.
- Stir (don’t blend) the syrup concoction with four cups Sprite or sparkling water, two cups Blue Curacao, two cups vodka or rum and some fresh blueberries.
As with any recipe, feel free to experiment with different fruits and the amount of booze you put in. Stay cool, stay thirsty and enjoy the greatest holiday of all.