Discarded or lost fishing lines have deadly consequences for animals, both on the land and sea. According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), these monofilament lines can last hundreds of years, and animals can mistake them for food or get entangled and suffocated by them.
A new program encouraging proper disposal of those lines, hopes to put mitigate some of the damage being done to local habitats. Fifteen fishing line recycle bins were recently donated to various locations in St. Johns County by the FWC. The FWC partnered with the St. Johns Parks and Recreation Department in the Monofilament Recovery and Recycling Program in an effort to cut down on the recklessly disposed of fishing lines in the environment.
The FWC lists birds, fish, manatees, dolphins, and turtles as animals affected by discarded lines; all frequent inhabitants of the North East Florida waterways. Monofilament contributes to “ghost fishing,” discarded or lost fishing gear that continues to capture or harm animals, according to the FWC.
“We will all work together to empty the bins to cut down on monofilament trash that ends up in the water,” said Park Naturalist for St. Johns Parks and Recreation Kelly Ussia in a press release. “Now it’s even easier to keep our waterways tangle-free.”
These are the 15 St. Johns County locations with the fishing line recycle bins:
- Boating Club Road Boat Ramp: 615 Boating Club Rd., St. Augustine
· Doug Crane Boat Ramp: 1039 Shore Dr., St. Augustine
· Exxon Beach Access: 2700 S. Ponte Vedra Blvd., Ponte Vedra Beach
· Moultrie Creek Boat Ramp: 4805 Shore Dr., St. Augustine
· Palmo Road Boat Ramp: 8600 Palmo Fish Camp Rd., St. Augustine
· Palm Valley Boat Ramp: 383 S. Roscoe Blvd., St. Augustine
· Porpoise Point Beach Access: Porpoise Point Dr., St. Augustine
· Riverdale Park Boat Ramp: 981 CR 13, Fruit Cove
· Shands Fishing Pier, 10000 Shands Pier Rd., St. Johns
· St. Johns County Ocean Pier: 350 A1A Beach Blvd., St. Augustine
· Trout Creek Park Boat Ramp: 6795 Collier Rd., Orangedale
· Usina Boat Ramp: 603 Euclid Ave., St. Augustine
· Vaill Point Park Fishing Pier: 630 Vaill Point Rd., St. Augustine
· Vilano Beach Fishing Pier, 260 Vilano Rd., St. Augustine
· Vilano Boat Ramp: 101 Vilano Causeway, St. Augustine
If St. Johns County isn’t your scene, check this map for all the bin locations in Florida.